Thursday, September 9, 2010

Losing It: body and mind

On April 6th 2009, I decided to lose weight. Easy enough? Well, I had made said decision about seventeen hundred times throughout my 23 years... probably beginning with some Jane Fonda videocassettes that my mum and I did together when i was eight years old and feeling a bit fat. But this time was different. I decided to commit to writing down every single thing that entered my body and every kilo-joule of energy I exerted. I'm a smart cookie, I thought, if i can get a PhD from Stanford (which remains to be seen), then I can master this "science" of weight loss that those skinny bitches on t.v go on about. And despite studying performance, I'd always had a knack for equations and math; so I figured eating less, plus working out more equals weight loss. Well, it was and wasn't that easy. What lay ahead in the eighteen months that followed were physical struggles and victories made only more challenging by the numerous psychological battles that accompanied them. Today, eighty pounds and eighteen months later, I still struggle with many of the challenges I faced from the onset... control... do i have it, have i lost it, am i losing weight? my mind? or myself?


I'm going to try to be as honest as I can. In these posts, I will share the pretty and the not so pretty. This blog is in response to the numerous friends and folk who have asked me to reveal the ever elusive "secret" of my weight loss. It is also today's daily dare on the livestrong facebook site, and i pretty much do as livestrong commands. I hope sharing my weight loss journey will do what you need it to do... inspire if you seek inspiration, reassure if you seek reassurance, entertain if you have no weight issues (in which case, i hate you, get off my blog... kidding... kind of), or just satisfy your curiosity.

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I enjoyed your blog. I am now a follower. I hope you will get insights from mine as well.
    All the best, Bob West
    http://healthyliving-reviews.blogspot.com/2010/09/diet-solution-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aida,
    Thanks for sharing your journey with us! I'm have embarked on a lifestyle change of my own in the last few months, and it's very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're following Bob! And Erica, it's wonderful that you're engaged in a life-change too... I'm so happy to hear my story inspires.

    ReplyDelete