Friday, December 31, 2010

The New Year, the New Me: Resolve



Resolutions are cute. The end of year feels like a solid full stop (a period––in American speak). It’s a chance to start a new sentence in my book––an opportunity to write a twist in my life story, a new quasi-beginning. What does this mean? 2010 was who I’ve been, 2011 is who I can be… “who I am” is somewhere between the life I live and the life I imagine.

At an African party in London, March 2009
On December 31st 2009, I resolved to make 2010 the year of sober Aida. It seemed unimaginable to some who could only visualize me with a glass of shiraz attached to the end of my right arm like a prosthesis––enjoying the organic yet mechanical motions of daily carousal. 90% of New Year’s resolutions don’t last longer than one week. I, too, would have doubted my ability to pull off a booze-free year if it hadn’t been for the fact that on the night of the 31st I felt like I was on day three of the worst hangover of my life. 31st December 2009 found me back in California suffering the effects of a hectic Uganda-Kenya booze binge. I was so turned off alcohol; it was easy to swear to be done with that delightful devil.

Quitting booze had its perks. I’ve written about the caloric catastrophes of immoderate imbibing here. But I quit drinking for more than just the weight loss benefits. Drinking was an excuse for me to feel okay relinquishing control. But when I really thought about it… I was liberated, scandalous and comfortable at any level of intoxication or complete sobriety for that matter. I haven’t quite been able to figure out what I got of drinking or would get out of drinking again… and I still don’t trust myself to behave “moderately”… so for now, I’m comfortable not knowing when and if I’ll drink again.

Winter wear, November 2010
So what of 2011? Well, I would like to consider this thing you call “moderation” … primarily in terms of exercise. I’ve been on holiday for three weeks now––I’m eating like a queen, haven’t written down one calorie, working out about 3 times a week instead of 6 or 7… and to my elation, for now, my weight and size has not changed. In 2011, I will do a better job of marrying an active and healthy lifestyle with an equally rigorous dedication to my academic life, spiritual life but most importantly… social life! I will stop lying to people that I’m maintaining as I secretly try to lose more weight… really Aida… enough is enough. I’ve been teetering between veganism and vegetarianism… in the New Year… I will probably continue to teeter… and I will be okay with that. I don’t want to be afraid… of adding weight, losing weight, food, or hard work. I want to try new things and keep working on the old. I will run races. I will start dance classes. I will be resolute in my pursuit of the life I want to live; active in the making of the world I want to live in.

I saw this on somebody’s facebook page the other day:

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bye 2010! Hello 2011!
Happy New Year, Everybody!!

Nairobi sunset driving back from a day trip, December 2010

1 comment:

  1. Aida!!!!!! Happy new year my love. I'm copying you and going to try not to drink or smoke for a year. I already spent two days partying in Paris without booze and world did not end. You look mighty happy in that pink dress up there, with the glass of wine. Adorable.

    ReplyDelete